Sunday, July 18, 2021

Violet Evergarden The Movie back in Yokohama (13th viewing)

For one week, Violet Evergarden The Movie will be showing again in Yokohama, at a small cinema called Jack and Betty. There are two screens here, one is Jack (capacity of 96 persons), the other Betty (capacity of 115 persons). The movie is showing at Betty.
(Note: There are spoilers toward the end of this post, please stop reading if you haven't watched the movie. Not really much of a spoiler, but I thought I would put a warning anyway.)

Which meant it was time to book tickets and watch it again. For the 13th time.

This time, I took Vivi there instead of the train.

It is so nice to see the posters back in a cinema.


There is even a small corner in the cinema introducing the movie. But it was a really small corner and I didn't have time to scrutinise everything since that would mean hogging the place and preventing other fans from taking a look.

 
It is a limited one-week run, with only one show per day. I got my ticket online, and even then, the cinema was already half-full. By the time the cinema opened its doors for us to enter before the show, there was already a crowd of fans, and it turned out to be a full house.

Anyway, the staff at the cinema told me that I can park right in front of the cinema, just beside the stairs. Which was what I did (instead of along the road, across the cinema, which could result in Vivi being towed away).

Although Violet Evergarden The Movie was showing at Jack and Betty since yesterday, I chose today because it is the second anniversary of the KyoAni arson attack. In addition to viewing the online memorial service this morning, watching Violet Evergarden The Movie (which has the names of the victims in its credit roll) is my way of paying my respects to the victims.

I don't know if I have touched on this, but the dialogue between Gilbert and Violet at the sea (their face-to-face reunion) in the movie actually borrowed from the light novel, when Gilbert and Violet reunited during the train attack. Just like the letters to Ann, which were excerpts from the letters in the light novel.

Also, I previously mentioned that Violet visited Yuris three times because of the pot of yellow flowers (which could have been a drawing mistake; that means Violet visited only twice). I think KyoAni fixed the flowers, because I don't think I saw yellow flowers this time. Either that, or I was crying too much to notice. Plus it wasn't a Dolby Cinema, so the colours won't as vivid, the sound not as clear... yes, once you have watched the Dolby Cinema version of Violet Evergarden The Movie, watching it at a normal theatre just doesn't give the full experience anymore.

This coming Friday, 23 July 2021, Tokyo 2020 will open... meanwhile, I am thinking if I should catch the movie again... 😅 (Update: Got my tickets for Friday...)

My overall thoughts on Violet Evergarden The Movie


Events:
 
Translations of short stories:
Gilbert Bougainvillea and the Fleeting Dream (unofficial translation of "ギルベルト・ブーゲンビリアと儚い夢")
The Starry Night and the Lonely Two (unofficial translation of 星降りの夜とさみしいふたり)
Diethard Bougainvillea's If (unofficial translation of ディートフリート・ブーゲンビリアIf) 
The Tailor and the Auto-Memories Doll (unofficial translation of 仕立て屋と自動手記人形)
 
Tellsis (Nunkish) translation:
Last line of Violet's final letter to Gilbert
 
Insights on the movie:
 
Audio commentary notes:

 
All posts related to Violet Evergarden.

No comments: