Thursday, June 03, 2021

Toward a scooter life: Getting a helmet

Last week, I placed an order for a scooter, which is arriving next week. In Japan, the use of a helmet is mandatory for all scooters and motorcycles. So the next step is to get a helmet. Otherwise, when the scooter arrives, I won't be able to ride it.

There are several options. A half-cap helmet is enough for a 50cc scooter, because the legal speed limit for a 50cc scooter in Japan is 30km/h, and anything below 125cc is not allowed on expressways and other similar roads (there are certain roads in Japan which are not expressways, but are still limited to four-wheeled vehicles and bigger motorcycles as they have a higher speed limit). Of course, you can always wear an open face or full face helmet too.

After much thought, I decided to get an open face helmet with a flip-up visor. A full face helmet offers the most protection, but it can also be really hot. An open face helmet is a balance between convenience and safety.

Once I decided on the type of helmet, the next step is to know my helmet size. I went to a motorcycle accessory store and the store assistant helped to measure my head circumference, after which I tried out a few helmets to get a better understanding of the different sizes of different manufacturers. I didn't want a cheap brand helmet, but Arai and Shoei (the best helmet brands in Japan) are really expensive. In the end, I settled with Yamaha, which I think should offer good quality without being too expensive. I tried out a few Yamaha helmets to understand what my size should be, then left the store because it didn't have the helmet I want (as in, the specific model, size, and colour).

To get that specific model, size, and colour, I turned to Amazon. Click click click, and a few days later, a big box arrived.

Tada! The Yamaha Zenith YJ-17 in dark metallic silver. It is an open face helmet with a flip-up visor, and an inner retractable sunvisor. There are also vents at the top of the helmet to allow air into the helmet so that it doesn't become too hot in summer. I am a bit worried if it will fit under the seat of the Honda Giorno, but I think it should.
 
I also got a pair of riding gloves. Nothing fancy, just a common brand (Komine) with some padding on the knuckles.
 
Now, to wait for the scooter to arrive!
 
PS. Once I get the hang of riding and know that I won't get myself killed, I am going to get a cuter helmet for short trips around the neighbourhood. The YJ-17 will then be used for long-distance trips.

No comments: