Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Riding a 50cc scooter on Japan's National Route 1

Japan's National Route 1 (国道1号) is a major road that links Tokyo directly to Kyoto and Osaka. It follows the old Tokaido road, and traffic is moderate to heavy. As a major road, its speed limit is usually higher than the 30km/h of a 50cc scooter, but it is still a normal road (not an expressway) so 50cc scooters are allowed on it.

So I decided to try riding down a short segment of it. Really short segment. I mean, I am a new rider on a 50cc scooter going at 30km/h while everyone is whizzing by in cars and trucks at 50km/h.


This is how it feels riding a 50cc scooter at 30km/h on a major road.

By the way, here is how the Honda Giorno looks like now.

As you can see, I added a box to the back. Also a holder for my smart phone, which serves as a navigation system running Google Maps. Google Maps is okay for going around nearby places, but I will likely subscribe to a dedicated motorcycle navigation app because Google Maps does not have support for the special rules that apply to a 50cc scooter in Japan.

No comments: