Sunday, June 27, 2021

Thoughts on "fast movies"

Some of you may have heard about "fast movies". These are short videos (around 10 minutes) which summarise the plot of a movie, and include key clips from the video. Recently, three persons were arrested in Japan for posting such videos.

Three people become first arrested in Japan for posting 10-minute movie recap on YouTube

First, I think people who created summary videos of movies deserve to be prosecuted for copyright infringement. While copyright laws allow for fair use of copyrighted material, that is only when such material is being used to support the creation of something else. In the case of summary videos, there is no original content; the people who make such videos are basically living off the hard work of those who made the original movies.

What becomes a gray area is when the creator of a fast movie gives his or her own commentary about the movie. Basically, a review. In such a case, the clips from the original movie are being used to support the creation of another work--the review. It then becomes difficult to judge what constitutes fair use, and what becomes an excessive showing of the original movie's contents.

Beyond the illegal use of copyrighted material, those who own the copyright say that these fast movies may end up preventing people from going to the cinema to watch their movies. This argument, though, can be a bit weak. A good movie will draw a crowd. Even if my friend watched a movie and told me the plot, if the movie is good, I will go and watch it for myself. I think the same applies for online content; I will go catch a movie after watching an online review if the review made me even more interested in the movie. Even if the review contained spoilers. Because that is what a good movie does: it draws people to want to watch it. There are many TV series and movies that I rewatch, for this simple reason.

So while I think those who freeload on the hard work of movie makers deserve to be prosecuted, I think movie makers also need to work hard to create content that does not suffer setbacks from those who willfully misuse copyrighted materials. If you make a good movie, people will watch it. It doesn't matter if they know the plot. I watched Violet Evergarden The Movie 12 times already. I know the ending after the first viewing, so why bother going back another 11 times (and maybe more, when it shows in Yokohama again in July)? Because it is a good movie that makes me want to watch it on the big screen.

In summary: don't abuse the right of fair use of copyrighted materials, and don't prosecute people who adhere to fair use. And make good movies that draw people to the cinema, whether they know the plot or not.

No comments: