Friday, June 04, 2021

Dell Inspiron 5491 2-in-1 internal microphone not found (solved)

I got a Dell Inspiron 5491 2-in-1 laptop in 2019. Today, when I was trying to join a Zoom meeting, my microphone wouldn't work. After looking through the sound settings and Device Manager in Windows 10, I realized that the internal microphone is not being detected.
 
After searching the wisdom of the Internet, I found a working solution here.
 
So I followed the steps.
1.Uninstall the latest version of Realtek Audio driver (Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_6CCVY_WIN_6.0.9147.1_A18.EXE) through the Device Manager; remember to check the option to delete the driver from the system.
2. Restart the PC.
3. Install the previous version: Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_XF4RR_WIN_6.0.8984.1_A02.EXE (you will need to download this from Dell's support site; there should be an option to show previous versions of the Realtek Audio driver, and this driver can be found there).
4. Restart the PC.

It worked for me, and I hope you find this useful.

Update August 1, 2021: If you update to Windows 11 (I am on the dev channel) and suddenly you don't get sound, you need to reinstall Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_XF4RR_WIN_6.0.8984.1_A02.EXE.

No comments: