Monday, August 27, 2018

Upgrading Linux Mint 18.3 to Linux Mint 19

Note to self:
Do not upgrade via mintupgrade on a highly customized installation. It will FAILED and you will not be able to recover...

Okay, so I did the stupid thing. I tried to upgrade to Linux Mint 19 using mintupgrade (following all the steps here). Everything went well, no error messages even with mintupgrade check and mintupgrade download.

All hell broke loose when I ran mintupgrade upgrade.

Error messages one after another. Tried to fix using dpkg and apt remove, and eventually managed to finish running mintupgrade upgrade.

But it won't boot.

So now I am waiting for a new SSD to arrive so that I can install a fresh copy of Linux Mint 19 on it, while porting over my previous home directory.

When will I ever learn...😭

Separate note, the same steps for upgrading worked on another PC, which runs Windows 10 as the main OS, with Linux Mint installed as a dual boot which I occasionally use. But the installation is not as customized since it isn't used as often, so I guess that helped to smooth the upgrade.

1 comment:

Teck said...

Did a fresh install on the new harddisk, and things are working fine now. Good thing I had my home directory on a separate partition, so it was a simple matter of using that partition in the new installation.