Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Annealing PLA+ with hot water

I saw a video on Youtube about using hot water to anneal PLA. So I tried it on my Sunlu PLA+ and here are the results.

Original cube measurements:
X: 19.9mm
Y: 20.0mm
Z: 19.7mm

Post annealing:
X: 19.5mm (2% shrink)
Y: 19.6mm (2% shrink)
Z: 20.1mm (2% increase)

It seems that annealing has made the cube grown in height (Z) like in this video.
Theoretically, it also means that I can compensate for these shrink/increase by scaling the object up/down in the respective axes before printing. Theoretically. I may try it out some day.

My method:
Boil water in a pot.
Put cube in a ziploc bag.
Put ziploc bag into pot of boiling water.
Wait for 2 minutes.
Pour boiling water away, fill pot with tap water.
Wait for 1 minute.
Take ziploc bag out of pot, take cube out of ziploc bag.

For those who may be interested.

No comments: