Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The spirit of volunteering

I recently posted a post on volunteering at MINDS. Just the other day, someone was relating his experiences volunteering as a community grassroot leader. Both he and his wife are active volunteers in their communities, in various activities. But to me, it seemed that they were after the wrong goals... he was bragging about the perks that he gets as a volunteer, about the benefits that the community gives to recognise the efforts of volunteers. I felt very disgusted with his "spirit of volunteering" that I ignored him for the rest of the morning. I just didn't want to hear him bragging about the gifts and perks he got from his "volunteer" activities. To me, that is against the spirit of volunteering. A volunteer should be giving his time and effort because he believes in the cause, and not because he is looking forward to getting something in return.

No comments: