Friday, November 09, 2007

A warrior's soul

After writing about iaido, I won't be doing justice if I don't talk about my katana, the warrior's soul. As Kimura Takuya's character pointed out in the movie Love and Honour, a samurai should not be away from his sword. I have owned this katana since the year 2000. Although I don't practise iaido these days, I still bring it out every once in a while, just to oil it and keep the rust at bay. Looking at it, holding it in my hands, it brings back memories of when I spent hours each day training in iaido. The urge to draw it out and practise a few moves comes everytime I touch my katana.

A katana is a warrior's soul. There is this special link between man and sword, that somehow just cannot be easily explained to those who never have this bond.

No comments: