Saturday, November 03, 2007

The importance of basics

Getting the basics right is very important.

I learnt to drive in Japan. And I would say that the driving instructors there are very strict (or at least, mine were). They made sure that students learn the basics correctly. And they stress the importance of observing basic road courtesy, which they teach too. For example, students drive slowly compared to the rest of the traffic, so occasionally, when going along one-lane roads, they will get the student to stop at the side of the road and let the rest of the traffic behind overtake first.

So coming back to Singapore, and driving on the roads here, at first I found it horrifying that our road users are so barbaric. Most lack basic road courtesy, and don't even observe simple rules like signalling before changing lanes. Yet it is also because of the strong basics that I had, which allows me to continue to survive on the roads today, keeping to my basics and yet not be endangered by the dangerous drivers around me. It is only when you are strong in the basics, can you be able to adapt to the situation.

No comments: