Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Second Chance

No, this is not about the clothing brand once seen in Singapore. It is not about life as well. It is about a Japanese TV drama series that ran in 1995 in Japan, and was shown in Singapore as well on Channel 12.

The story is about a mother of three boys (Tanaka Misako), who lost her husband to a car accident. After staying in the company accommodations for quite some time, she decided it was time to move out and stop relying on the goodwill of the company. They moved into a rented apartment, where their neighbour (Akai Hidekazu) happens to be a widower with a daughter. He has problems bringing up his teenage daughter (what do fathers know about daughters?) and she has her own problems bringing up three boys. While the children got to know each other better, love blossomed between the parents.

Being shown quite some time back, it is now hard to find much information about this show. I have been searching the Internet and failed to find anything useful. Anyway, this is its page on jdorama.com. And here is what can be found on the Japanese Wikipedia.

I am a sucker for romantic, heartwarming scenes. This show, if I remember correctly, has quite a few of these. The fact that Tanaka Misako (12 years ago) really suited the role of a pretty young mother helped draw me to the show too.

Theme song, "Tomorrow"
The theme song from the drama
A short clip of the drama on Youtube

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello, I stumbled upon your blog while searching for more information on Second Chance. I too remember watching it on TV - Channel 12 but I can't seem to remember the exact date/year it was shown. I believe it was shown only once in Singapore right? Do you remember when was it? I think it was in 1998?
Thank you :)

Teck said...

It should have been before 1998, because by 1998, I wasn't around in Singapore... I think it was between 1995 to 1997, that was the time when I was watching Japanese drama serials on Ch 12.