Tuesday, February 06, 2007

New Car! Part 4

I think I discovered something about the Honda Airwave today. Nothing important, really, but just thought I want to share this. With the Toyota Vios, I was doing 80km/h at about 2000rpm. But with the Honda Airwave, I was doing only about 70km/h at 2000rpm. For the Vios, at 2500rpm, I was going at 100km/h. With the Airwave, similarly, 2500rpm got me to 100km/h.

This led me to conclude that, the Vios is actually designed for fuel efficiency at 80km/h, while the Airwave is more efficient at either 70km/h, or when going above 100km/h. This is interesting because Singapore's speed limit is 80-90km/h for the expressways. For Japan, which is the market that the Airwave was designed for, the speed limit on normal roads is 60km/h and 120km/h (if I recall correctly). So maybe the Vios is more suited for Singapore conditions, while the Airwave will perform better (in terms of fuel consumption) in Japan.

Does anyone have similar experiences? Or differing views?

No comments: