Monday, December 25, 2023

No more rack servers

I migrated to another server a while ago, and ever since, my rack servers have not been really used at all.

So I made the difficult decision to let go of them.
 
First, I called up a local company that advertised itself as "we buy rack servers" but in the end, when their staff came to take a look, they said they cannot take the servers and I ending up passing them some of my GPUs instead for a bit of cash.
 
I then took out what I can from the rack servers (mainly the better CPUs and RAM) and kept them with the minimum needed to function. I then put the CPUs and RAM modules up for sale on Yahoo! Auctions, where I managed to find buyers for some of them, mostly the RAM modules and some of the faster CPUs. I actually got a nice return on them (given the age of the parts), even after subtracting the amount spent on shipping and commission.
 
I also called another local company which was willing to take the rack servers from me for a token (measly) price. But still, it was better than me trying to sell the servers myself, since they are bulky and hard to ship. So while I had wanted a bit more, I let go of them to save myself the hassle.  This company also took a few of the SAS drives and spinning SATA drives that I had no use for, and my NAS that ran on a Celeron J1900 CPU.
 
So now, I am only left with the HP ML110 Gen9 (main server), the HP Microserver Gen8 (which I use for PBS), and the workstations. More than enough to serve my needs.

No comments: