Sunday, December 17, 2023

Mixed hair calligraphy brush from Taiwan (gift)

A friend of mine was having a vacation in Taiwan, and sent over a mixed hair calligraphy brush as a gift.

The hair is 62mm long, with a diameter of 14mm.

I gave it a try the very same day, and wrote this.

The above was also posted here.

The brush itself is from a company called 國秦棉紙有限公司, with stores in Taizhong, Taipei, Tainan, and Gaoxiong (I can't find the store on the internet, except for its pages on Facebook). It writes very well, with goat hair on the outside, covering weasel hair on the inside, and some stiff, blackish hair (probably pig hair) at the innermost core. This means it can hold a lot of ink, but is also springy. I have a similar brush that I bought in Singapore, but this one is a bit easier to write since it has that stiff hair at the very core (the one I bought in Singapore only has goat hair covering weasel hair).
 
Due to its size, it is suitable for writing around 20 or more characters on 半切 paper, or around five papers on a sheet of 半紙. I really appreciate the thought and I will use this brush again when I need to work on such pieces.

No comments: