Saturday, November 27, 2021

Activating Windows 11 virtual machine

I was able to install Windows 11 as a virtual machine under Proxmox in the rack server, and even found a way to activate it. Then, I saw on CNX Software that there is a sale for Windows activation keys due to Black Friday, and decided to give it a try.

The sale was on Godeal24 and I was wondering if the keys are legit. But they are real cheap anyway, so I thought I would just give it a try. I don't really use Windows anyway, and I kind of treated this like a learning experience. The site allows you to buy as a guest without registration, and you can even pay via PayPal instead of credit card.

Long story short. The key can activate Windows 11. But it is an OEM_DM channel key, not a full retail key. Which, for my case, is fine since I am not using Windows for anything critical. (In fact, I don't even use it much at all, except to run it and smile to myself, "I managed to install a Windows 11 virtual machine." 😅) But if you are using it for your main PC, I would recommend against such activation keys, because that is not what they are meant for.

Meanwhile, the rack server learning journey continues...

Update: As an OEM_DM channel key, it cannot be transferred. I tried to deregister the key on one VM to use on another, but it didn't work.

No comments: