Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Upgrade Dell Inspiron 5491 2-in-1 laptop to Windows 11 preview

Windows 11 is out on the Insiders program and Dell Inspiron 5491 2-in-1 laptop is one of the Dell models supported. So yes, it is technically possible to upgrade to Windows 11 now. I did so, and found it to be very laggy. Every few seconds, the mouse would lag, the system would halt for a while before it becomes responsive again. For others who face similar issues, this is what I did to try and alleviate the lag.

1. Update to the latest Intel Graphics drivers.
Actually, I didn't see any much change in lag after installing the latest Intel Graphics drivers (which I got from here) but it was something that I did, so I am putting it here to be comprehensive.

2. Set to use the Nvidia GPU for certain programs.
I was using Zoom (which ran on the Nvidia GPU) and realised that the laptop didn't lag as much. This prompted me to try setting some programs to run on the Nvidia GPU, and yes, it seems to solve the lag issue. To do so, go to Settings, then under System > Display > Graphics (or you can type "gpu" in the Settings search bar and select "Graphics Settings" from the search results), there is "Custom options for apps". You can add programs to the list by browsing through your file system, then after choosing the program file, select "High performance" to get it to use the Nvidia GPU. For me, I have Firefox, Chrome, and Windows Explorer set to "High performance" and the system runs with a lot less lag now.

Hope this helps.

Update September 3, 2021: The KB5006050 update killed my installation, and I had to do a factory reset... sigh... back to Windows 10. At least it gave me a good reason to roll back to Windows 10 with a full factory reset.

No comments: