Monday, August 30, 2021

Komm, Süsser Tod (甘き死よ、来たれ Come, Sweet Death)

"Komm, Süsser Tod" (Japanese title: 甘き死よ、来たれ; "Come, Sweet Death" in English) is a song that was used in the anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion. The song has its lyrics originally in Japanese, written by the creator of Evangelion, Anno Hideaki. This was then translated by Mike Wyzgowski into English for the actual rendition of the song and was performed by Arianne with music by Sagisu Shiro.

This is a cover by the band at Beyond Ghibli, a YouTube channel that talks about anime.

----------------------
Original Japanese lyrics by Anno Hideaki:
甘き死よ、来たれ

不安なの。
不安なの。
みんなに嫌われるのが、怖い。
自分が傷つくのが、怖い。
でも、ヒトを傷つけるのが、もっと怖い。
でも、傷つけてしまう。
好きなヒトを傷つけてしまう。
だから、ヒトを好きにならない。
だから、自分を傷つけるの。

嫌いだから。
だいっキライだから。

好きになっては、いけないの。
だから、自分を傷つける。

優しさはとても残酷
心を委ねたら、私は壊れてしまう
心が触れ合えば、あの人は傷つく

だから、私は壊れるしかない
無へと還るしかない

無へと還ろう
無へと還ろう
それは、優しさに満ち満ちたところ
そこは、真実の痛みのないところ
心の揺らぎのないところ

無へと還ろう
無へと還ろう
他人のいない無へと還ろう
無へと還ろう
無へと還ろう
傷つく事のない無へと還ろう…(リピート)

----------------------------
English lyrics:
Komm, süsser Tod

I know, I know I've let you down
I've been a fool to myself
I thought that I could
live for no one else
But now through all the hurt & pain
It's time for me to respect
the ones you love
mean more than anything
So with sadness in my heart
(I) feel the best thing I could do
is end it all
and leave forever
what's done is done it feels so bad
what once was happy now is sad
I'll never love again
my world is ending

I wish that I could turn back time
cause' now the guilt is all mine
can't live without
the trust from those you love
I know we can't forget the past
you can't forget love & pride
because of that, it's killing me inside

It all returns to nothing, it all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down
It all returns to nothing, I just keep letting me down, letting me down, letting me down
In my heart of hearts
I know that I could never love again
I've lost everything
everything
everything that matters to me, matters in this world

I wish that I could turn back time
cuz now the guilt is all mine
can't live without
the trust from those you love
I know we can't forget the past
you can't forget love & pride
because of that, it's killing me inside

It all returns to nothing, it just keeps tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down
It all returns to nothing, I just keep letting me down, letting me down, letting me down
It all returns to nothing, it just keeps tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down
It all returns to nothing, I just keep letting me down, letting me down, letting me down 

-------------------
The original Japanese lyrics are actually quite dark... more in line with the theme of seeking a return to nothingness through death to escape from the pains of life. Just reading it makes me depressed, so I am glad the English lyrics managed to capture part of the despair without really tumbling into the temptation of death as a solution to pain.

Entry on Evangelion fandom page

No comments: