Tuesday, November 03, 2020

Raspberry Pi 400 launched

By now, most people would know that the Raspberry Pi 400 has been launched.


The Raspberry Pi 400 is similar to the Raspberry Pi 4B in terms of hardware, except that it has a higher clock speed of 1.8GHz instead of 1.5GHz. Unlike the RPi4B which comes with 2GB, 4GB, or 8GB of RAM, the Raspberry Pi 400 comes with 4GB of RAM. It houses the hardware inside a keyboard, like older computers of the 1980s. All that is needed is power supply, monitor (or even TV with HDMI input) and a mouse (or not...).

Personally, I like the concept. However, the keyboard layouts are limited right now, and I do like having the convenience of a JP106 keyboard layout (but I can live with US keyboard layout) as I need to enter Japanese. My only gripe is that the Raspberry Pi 400 continues to use micro HDMI... on the RPi4B, I can understand using micro HDMI because you need to squeeze two ports onto the small board. But the Raspberry Pi 400 has a lot more space now, so there is no real reason not to use full-size HDMI ports.

I also hope they can make 8GB RAM versions too. This will really make the Raspberry Pi 400 a serious contender for mini desktop PC replacements. Let's see if they make such a move in the coming months.

No comments: