Tuesday, August 18, 2020

NTFS... for external drives only

Note to self: use NTFS only for external drives on a Linux system.

Elaboration:
I suddenly had an error with my internal storage HDD on my Linux system. I had previously stupidly made it as an NTFS partition. And it had been a bad mistake, but all my data files were already on it, so trying to switch to ext4 was not a real option for me.
 
Today, I finally had some error that prevented me from mounting that NTFS internal HDD. And so... I decided to just take the plunge, reformat it as ext4, and tried to find an older backup of files to copy back.
 
Which I did... except for OneDrive, which I thought I would just synchronize. And when I did that, it started to delete files from OneDrive instead!!! 😱
 
So now I am trying to copy files back into the HDD, and also hoping that my very old backup of my OneDrive files on an external HDD can be used to partially restore whatever I have... sigh. I think I am going to have lost some files for sure.
 

1 comment:

Teck said...

Update:
I managed to recover most of my OneDrive files by restoring them from the Recycle bin in OneDrive. It still remains to be seen if everything is where it should be.

As for local data files, given that my backup was from April... a lot of those in my document folder was lost. Mostly PDFs of papers which I downloaded to read. Video files should have been backed up on my pseudo NAS (a Raspberry Pi running Samba server with an external HDD) so I should be able to get that back. Compiled firmware files for the MRR ESPA and MRR ESPE are also using backups from April... Steam games (mostly SWTOR and Elder Scrolls Online) which I managed to get to run in Linux were also on that HDD so I will have to reinstall them.

Saving grace is that I have a bit of time today to work on all these problems given the slow trickle of translation work lately.