Monday, August 17, 2020

Just Because!

Written by Kamoshida Hajime (who also wrote The Pet Girl of Sakurasou, another anime that I like), the story of Just Because! is appealing for its theme of love and growing up.

But... the animation is not the best that I have seen. I mean, if I were to be critical, the animation seems shoddy at times, and I am sure there are parts of the background where actual photographs were used instead of being drawn. The facial expressions are lacking at times. Stills are used quite often. However, given the harsh reality in the anime industry (watch Shirobako), I think we can all understand how tough it can be to deliver something to viewers while keeping to the deadlines and within budget. Yet a part of me still thinks the story deserves much better animation.

I guess a good story can save bad animation. The reverse, though, is usually not true. Great animation rarely saves a bad story. And to remind myself about this point (that a good story can save bad animation), I am writing this post. Nothing more, nothing less.

No comments: