Friday, February 28, 2020

Practical 3D printing: Outer case for RPi "armor case"

There are tons of Raspberry Pi cases out there, but I happen to have this "armor case" for my Raspberry Pi 3B+ and 4B. The "armor" case is basically two pieces of heat sink for the entire top and bottom of the RPi. Works great for passive cooling, and with 2 x 25mm fans, has an active cooling option too. But they look... dull.

And the tons of RPi cases out there can't fit my RPi enclosed already in an "armor case". So it was time for practical 3D printing.

Open FreeCAD, and design the bigger "case" that will wrap around the "armor case". Slice it, and tada!

I actually messed up the bottom a bit. The RPi is supposed to go with an external SSD mounted below it, so I had to redo the bottom a bit. But I finally got it right.

Time to get that mount done for the external SSD.

Nothing too fancy, just a simple case to allow me to mount the RPi on top of the SSD with M3 bolts.


The case works for RPi 3B and 3B+ in "armor cases" too.

Now to find other practical stuff to print.

Update (March 13, 2020):
The above design "cooped up" the armor case, which sought of made it less effective in cooling the RPi4. I updated the design to expose more of the armor case.

As the picture shows, it works for the armor case of the RPi3 too.

No comments: