Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Improving the FLSun Cube

It has been a while since I tried to do a proper print with my modified FLSun Cube. After converting it to a coreXY setup, I have been using it more for testing purposes (to see how the MRR ESPA and MRR ESPE would work with 12V and coreXY systems), and most of the prints are test cubes and first layer tests.

The modified Cube was also not very well modified. Totally my fault, arising from trying to kit bash many many different parts from various builds to get something that I want. Couple that with a somehow warped bed (even with the Ultrabase glass bed, my mesh readings can various by 0.15mm or more between each probe point), and it is no surprise that I try not to use it for anything meaningful.

Still, I added stiffer springs to the heated bed recently, did a manual mesh bed leveling again, and needed to see if it works. So I did a more proper print this time. A holder for a portable SSD that I will be using with a Raspberry Pi 4.


The print completed without failure, but quality was poor. I think there is some friction in my bearings/rods, and the way my spool holder is mounted seems to result in poor filament feeding. I will be relocating the spool holder, but there is nothing much I can do about the bearings/rods except for a total teardown and rebuild. Which is why I am still searching for a build that will allow me to use linear rails (I have 3 x 400mm MGN12H rails), microswitches for endstops (instead of optical switches), and a Titan Aero direct drive extruder.

Anyway, the printer is running on a MRR ESPE with TMC2130s on X and Y. The only noise it makes are from the friction between bearing/rod, and when the filament spool is pulling on the XY gantry. And the 5015 fan when it is first starting up; but that noise drops significantly once the fan is running smoothly.

The 3030 extrusions for my pending HEVO build is still lying around gathering dust...

No comments: