Saturday, January 31, 2009

A quiet new year

The economy must be real bad, because this year, during Chinese New Year Eve, there wasn't a lot of people at the nearby flower market.

Buying auspicious plants is part of celebrating the new year. Every year, the flower market near my place will be packed with people doing their last minute shopping, waiting for the last minute bargains as shops try to clear their stock. The car park would be full, there would be lots of people walking around. I remember fondly my childhood days when I would help my parents to sell flowers and plants during this festive season.

Between 10pm to midnight on Chinese New Year Eve is usually the peak period, because this is the time when people go out for last minute bargains after having their reunion dinner. But this year, at around 10pm on Chinese New Year Eve, when we went to the flower market, the car park was only half full, and there wasn't much of a crowd. I had wanted to relive the festive atmosphere that reminds me of my childhood days but instead felt a slight tinge of sadness. I guess it is a sign of the gloomy days ahead.

No comments: