Sunday, October 21, 2007

Pascal

I only started learning Pascal when I got to JC, since it was part of the course syllabus. By then, I was already well-versed in BASIC, and had some ability to program in C as well. Learning yet another programming language was a piece of cake, since the general principles are all the same, just the differences in syntax and commands.


This is how Turbo Pascal looks like. Back then, programming was done mostly in DOS, and you didn't have the fancy IDEs and program development suites that allow you to drag-and-drop together a GUI. No, you have to type it in yourself. And that was what I did when I programmed an application in Java for my thesis.


Turbo Pascal's development has stopped. But if you are looking for something similar, try out Free Pascal. It is an open source implementation of Turbo Pascal, complete with IDE. You can find it for download at its website.

Why Pascal Is Not My Favourite Programming Language by Brian W. Kernighan
Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal

No comments: