Friday, September 14, 2007

Stopped Refrigerator

Life is full of experiences.

I was overseas for the past two weeks, and returned home to find a weird smell in the house. I didn't know what that smell was, until I went to get myself a drink from the fridge.

It stank.

Somehow, the fridge stopped working while I was away. And since the day it stopped, temperature has been rising... all the food in there has gone bad, the vegetables, the meat, the fish, the butter, the cheese, all of it has gone bad, leaving the whole fridge smelling of decay.

I spent the whole day cleaning the fridge, then using Dettol to sterilise it. Bought some air fresheners too, just to try and make it smell better.

The lesson learnt? From the repairman, there is nothing wrong with the fridge itself. Apparently, an electrical surge or a power failure might have caused the compressor to shut off to protect itself. When the power got back, the compressor did not cut in. Got a tip from him too, that in the future, when such things happen, all I need to do is to turn of the fridge for half an hour, then turn it back on again with the coolest settings for a few hours. That should get the compressor to kick in.

Now I am storing up charcoal in my fridge, to see if it can get rid of the smell...

No comments: