Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Porridge Shop

There is a teochew porridge shop along Simon Road that I have been patronising for more than a decade. Before it moved to the shophouse along Simon Road, it used to be a stall in the old Simon Road market (which has since given way to Kovan MRT station). My father used to bring the family there for supper when I was still schooling. During my JC days, I used to eat supper there on my way home whenever I hang out late with my friends. After starting work, I have dinner there regularly. The food there is not exactly cheap, but it has the home-cooked flavour and the shop has a cozy feeling, with a friendly owner.

However, as of 30 Dec 2006, the shop has closed as they cannot afford the rent. Apparently, the landlord has decided to raise the rent by quite a margin, and the porridge shop owner has decided to move out instead. They still haven't found a place yet, though. It will be a waste that such a nice place has to stop business. Then again, even moving to a new place may not bring back the same cozy feeling. After all, it is both the location and the attitude of the shop owner that brings out the cozy feeling.

No comments: