Wednesday, March 06, 2024

"Unless you win" vs "Unless I win"

James Clavell's "Shogun" has been adapted into a TV series (or rather, online streaming series) in 2024. This is 44 years after the previous adaptation as a TV miniseries in 1980 after the book was published in 1975.

A scene in episode 2 caught my attention. I remember Blackthorne saying "Unless you win" but in this new adaption, he said "Unless I win." The scene was also different. It was decades ago since I read the book, so I pulled out a copy to check if my memory had failed me.

In the book, this was the scene when they were talking about how the Protestant Dutch rebelled against Catholic Spain's rule.
"There are no 'mitigating circumstances' when it comes to rebellion against a sovereign lord."
"Unless you win."
Toranaga looked intently at him. Then laughed uproariously. He said something to Hiro-matsu through his laughter and Hiro-matsu nodded.
"Yes, Mister Foreigner with the impossible name, yes. You named the one mitigating factor."

In episode 2 of this new adaptation, they were talking about the Dutch and English fighting against Spain and Portugal, without touching on the rebellion part. Toranaga said, "You are outnumbered. It is hopeless."
To which Blackthorne replied, "Unless I win."

Personally, I think this change was to avoid any hints of "rebellion" since such a reference would probably ruin the show's chance of ever being allowed in China. You can't really blame the producers; China is a big market.
 
At the same time, I thought it was a very very skillful change. I mean, the context is different but Blackthorne's answer still retains that same impact on Toranaga. Remember, Toranaga was in danger at that time, facing impeachment from the Council of Regents which would probably mean his death (and his family too). Fighting against the Council of Regents would be seen as rebellion. At the same time, it was four against one in the council, so Toranaga was also outnumbered. Blackthorne's answer in the book struck a note in Toranaga's heart. Yes, it may not look good to be a rebel, but then, it is the victors that write the history books, so all the Dutch (or Toranaga) had to do was to win. In the new adaptation, Toranaga was outnumbered by the council and it looked hopeless for him, but he was given a timely reminder by Blackthorne that nothing else mattered as long as the Dutch (or Toranaga) wins.

Looking forward to watch the rest of this series. Meanwhile, I think I will catch up on the 1980 miniseries too.

Note: A related post about adaptations and sticking true to the original work

No comments: