Friday, April 21, 2023

Watching Detective Conan: Black Iron Submarine (名探偵コナン 黒鉄の魚影(サブマリン))

I saw someone post on Twitter about "the two elementary school kids who earned 3 billion yen in 3 days" and that sparked my interest in Detective Conan: Black Iron Submarine (名探偵コナン 黒鉄の魚影(サブマリン)). The two elementary school kids were Edogawa Conan and Haibara Ai. The movie brought in 3.1 billion yen on the 3 days of its opening weekend, from Friday to Sunday, when it opened in Japan on 14 April 2023.

My work schedule for the past month was really tight, but things have settled down and I had quite a bit of free time these few days, so I decided to make a trip to the local theatre to catch the movie.

The setting of the story can be a bit... erm... authoritarian? I mean, we are talking about the police using security camera and face recognition technology to find people... this sounds like some real-world East Asian country to me. But putting this aside, the movie is like other Conan movies, with the skateboard and explosions. This time, though, the main location is out at sea, but Conan still manages to use his skateboard inside the offshore facility.

The relationships between Conan/Shinichi and Ran as well as that between Conan and Haibara are part of the story too, and this movie continues to add to those relationships. No spoilers, though. Let's just say some scenes even sparked uproar among fans in China... and it hasn't even started showing in China yet, those fans just heard rumours.

All in, I find this to be an enjoyable movie, like most other Conan movies. It is worth a watch, and yes, it should be enjoyed on the big screen because of the action and sound effects. I myself will likely be back a second time (for various reasons...)

No comments: