Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Watching Avatar: The Way of Water (2022) in Dolby 3D

Having watched Avatar when it first came out in 2009, I was kind of interested in how the sequel will look. So when Avatar: The Way of Water released in Japan, I thought I would find time to watch it. And yes, I needed to find time, since this movie is more than 3 hours!

I saw that it was showing at the local Dolby Cinema and IMAX cinema, and was kind of interested in how it would look like in a Dolby Cinema. However, searching around, I saw that it was only available in normal, 3D, Dolby 3D, and IMAX 3D. I can't watch it as Dolby or IMAX (without the 3D)... so I decided to take the plunge and try watching the movie in Dolby 3D.


First, wearing the 3D glasses kind of gave the entire screen a white tint, which means that the usual high colour contrast you find in Dolby Cinema is... not as sharp a contrast. The movie, however, exploited the entire screen area, which I really appreciated. For those who have been on a 3D ride at Disneyland or Universal Studios, well, it is something like that, except the seat did not move. And the "ride" lasted more than 3 hours... I think people with motion sickness might not be able to survive the movie; in fact, when the movie first started, I felt a bit uncomfortable. But years of sailing kind of made me more tolerant to stuff moving all over the place in front of my eyes, and I soon got used to it.

The story itself is kind of stereotypical for sequels. The bad guy returns, the good guys fight back and win. Usual Hollywood stuff. The ending even allows for the possibility of another sequel... which I found to be kind of disappointing. Even when one of the main characters die, you don't really feel sad or anything. There is nothing in the story that endears any of the characters to the viewer. The story is just there so that the viewer can enjoy the computer graphics and other special effects, flying through the sky, running through the jungle, or diving around underwater.

After the movie, I tried to think if there is anything in the movie that would make me want to watch it again. I couldn't come up with anything. Maybe someone else can try taking this challenge. 😆

No comments: