Friday, June 10, 2022

Teasing Master Takagi-san: The Movie (劇場版 からかい上手の高木さん)

Teasing Master Takagi-san: The Movie (劇場版 からかい上手の高木さん) opened in theatres in Japan today, and there were handing out a nice manga booklet so I made my trip to the local cinema.

The story itself is very simple, which may explain why this movie is so short. Nishikata and Takagi-san found a kitten, and took care of it while trying to find a home for it. The movie ended with the two of them making a certain (and same) promise to each other. But otherwise, nothing really interesting. Do stay until after the credit roll, since there is one final cut after that.

Frankly, I am not sure if this can be classified as a movie though, since it is only 73 minutes and includes a lot of flashbacks which, to me, looks like the production team trying to find stuff to exceed that 60-minute mark to call this a movie. Some parts of the "movie" felt like a slideshow. It looked more like a marketing gimmick than anything. If they had released this as an OVA instead, with a limited in-theatre airing, reception might have been better. But as it is, on its opening day, I could count the number of people in the theatre with me...
 
There is a saving grace: the booklet.

It includes two manga episodes drawn by the creator of the Takagi-san series, Yamamoto Soichiro: "The Eraser" and "From Tomorrow". The former is one of the episodes from the TV series. The latter is based on a scene from this movie. I guess I will return again if they hand out any more interesting stuff.

By the way, I am not saying this isn't a good movie. I am saying it is not enough, I need more of this good stuff! 😅

No comments: