Wednesday, February 09, 2022

Amazon Prime Video HD playback on Linux

My recent foray into kernel-based virtual machines in setting up my homelab has led to an unintended consequence.

I can now playback videos on Amazon Prime in HD (1080p) instead of the limit to 720p on Linux.
 
Still, this is a bit overboard just to get HD video playback on Linux. I mean, it entails installing a Windows virtual machine on Linux. Which was what I did, because I use Windows for work but I really prefer Linux for everything else. Before this, I have Linux on my desktop, and Windows on my laptop, and switch between the two depending on what I want to do.

Now, with Windows running as a VM in Linux, all I need to do is to toggle between virtual desktops. I run my Linux stuff on the first virtual desktop, while I use NoMachine in the second virtual desktop to access the Windows VM running on that same Linux desktop.

While I don't recommend this just for watching Amazon Prime Video at HD on Linux, for those interested, my setup:
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G (8 cores 16 threads)
32 GB RAM
GTX 1660 Super (passed through to Windows VM)
The Windows VM is configured with 8 vCPUs and given 16 GB of RAM. It runs on a USB SSD, with an iSCSI share from my TrueNAS VM running on my Dell Poweredge R720.

日本語記事リンク
 

No comments: