Friday, December 31, 2021

Asus G550J, still going strong today

I bought the Asus G550J laptop back in June 2014 and gave it a new lease of life in December 2017 by changing the harddisk to a SSD. The laptop is still going strong today, after 7 years since I got it.
 
Although the i7 processor is a 4th generation processor and lacks the hardware requirements for upgrade to Windows 11, it does have a Nvidia GTX 850M (4GB video RAM) GPU, which still allows it to run today's games respectably well. I can actually play Fortnite at 1080p on it using DirectX11 and in low settings with more than 60 fps. Although Performance mode can squeeze out a bit more frames per second.

However, I now have a R720 with a GTX 1050Ti inside. Which is passed through to a Windows virtual machine that I access via NoMachine. Basically, I have my own remote game server. 😅 There is a bit of a CPU bottleneck, even though the R720 has been upgraded from the original dual Xeon E5-2640 to dual Xeon E5-2670v2 with 2.5 GHz base clock and 3.3 GHz boost. The next logical step is to upgrade the R720 to dual E5-2690v2 (3 GHz base clock and 3.6 GHz boost) but that will be some time down the road. Or to run the GTX 1050Ti from the R430 instead using a PCIe extension cable.

So I have given the Asus G550J to my son. Who has been playing Fortnite on a laptop with iGPU... and commenting about how often the game lags. And doing well even with the lags... so hopefully, he can better enjoy his gaming experience with the better performance and larger screen that the Asus G550J offers. Guess this is his present for the new year. 😅

No comments: