Monday, April 13, 2020

RGB LED fan for the hotend

RGB LED fan for the hotend? Why?

Because it can be done.

Recently, I saw a RGB LED 40mm fan for use with Raspberry Pi. So I thought, "It will be so cool if this can be used with a 3D printer." But the problem is that my 3D printers run on 12V and 24V, and this fan runs on 5V. I tried to see if 12V or 24V models are available, but apparently not.

First, I tried to use this isolated MOSFET module. But my testing showed that it cannot be used with 5V on the output side; the minimum voltage on the output side is 9V due to how the module was designed. That meant I cannot use the fan output on my board to control the 5V RGB LED fan.

But wait. I have a few MRR PiFan fan controllers on hand. Can I use the 5V output on my MRR ESPE, coupled with one of the I2S output pins as a GPIO to control the MOSFET on the MRR PiFan?



Apparently, yes.


I turned off the lights to see if the RGB LED effects can be more prominent.

My only worry is that the fan is not pushing enough air to cool the heatsink on my Titan Aero, which will then result in heat creep and clogs. So I will likely be switching back to a normal fan. But still, it was a nice "experiment".


No comments: