Monday, September 16, 2019

MRR ESPA printing away!

Here's a quick video of the MRR ESPA printing away. It is printing a model I found on Thingiverse, using PETG, and the MRR ESPA is installed in an Ender-3.

I am planning to launch the MRR ESPA on Kickstarter soon, so that it can be made available to a wider audience. My intention is to price the reward to just cover the costs: PCB assembly, shipping and handling, plus Kickstarter's commission. Why? Because this is an open source piece of work that is only possible through the work of the open source community, and this is my way of giving back to the community. Right now, I am just waiting for the PCB manufacturer/assembly company to get back to me with their final quote so that I can finalize the amount that I will actually need to get this going.

Why I really like the MRR ESPA:

  1. With a web interface, it basically means no more LCD controllers! I just control everything through a web browser. It means less cost: most, if not every hobbyist now, have a smart phone. There is no need to fork out money to buy a LCD controller or something like the MKS TFT32. Less parts mean less things to connect wrongly, and less things which can break down.
  2. Remote printing is possible since everything can be controlled via the web interface. I envision this to be a huge bonus for those who run printing farms. Imagine being able to have your printing farm located in a different part of the building, and every printer accessible via a web browser. You can sit in your office, and when an order comes in, you slice the file, send the gcode file to the printer remotely, and start the print. All from your office. Wow!


Special thanks must go to luc-github (who created the ESP3D web interface, and modified Marlin 2.0 to allow it to serve ESP3D to web browsers) and the Marlin ESP32 HAL contributors.

Next steps (not in any particular order):

  • Launch Kickstarter.
  • Test MRR ESPA v1.3 (the PCB is currently being manufactured; minor updates from v1.2.)
  • Test out CoreXY performance on my modified FLSun Cube (which is also a 12V system, unlike the 24V Ender-3).
  • Manufacture and ship on a successful Kickstarter campaign (wish me luck!)



No comments: