Saturday, July 20, 2019

Diff/merge tool: Meld

In my work with designing a 3D printer control board, there is a need to work with the latest developmental version of Marlin firmware. But updating the configuration files can be quite tedious, since I need to do line by line comparison.

Then, I came across Meld.

And kicked myself for not finding it earlier.

It makes line by line comparison so much easier. The program itself compares the two files (it can actually compare up to three files, but I only need to compare two), and highlights all the differences. With a single click, you can choose to copy lines from one file to the other, either to update file A with the corresponding lines in file B, or the other way round.

This makes it so much easier to update the latest version of the configuration files with the settings that I have been using. And I can't believe I have lived with my manual, line-by-line way of doing things all this time.

No comments: