Sunday, July 15, 2018

Improving based on customer feedback

As someone who got a 3D printer kit a few months ago, thinking to see what I can pick up about making and prototyping and such, it has been a learning experience. A steep learning curve, to build a 3D printer from scratch, knowing nothing about 3d printing, and having to try and learn details about both hardware and software aspects.

But it was worth the learning. It was time-consuming. But that's learning. You can't learn without using up time.

But I also cannot help but notice that as time goes by, products get better. I got a FLSun Cube at the start of the year. By mid of the year, FLSun was still selling the Cube, but the Cube has adopted a different design, using CoreXY as the driving mechanism, and switching to roller V-wheels instead of linear bearings.

Super. Great.

But I guess that is what this is all about. Things improve. I mean, if they don't, we would be extinct. Still, some form of versioning (Cube 1.0, Cube 2.0) would help when it comes to branding or corporate communication.

I digress. I actually wanted to share this video.


I was looking to get the Creality Ender-3 too, as a backup printer. And it seems that they have continued to improve it. Which is not a bad thing. But I was basing my decisions on reviews, which means that older reviews differed from newer ones as Creality made changes to the Ender-3... using paying customers as beta testers. Well, if you see it from "we listen to feedback from our customers", it may seem positive. But it may also sound a bit bordering on corporate ethics to use paying customers to help you improve a product without making it explicit that this is still a beta product.

On one hand, I think companies should do due diligence in R&D before selling a product. On the other, it is also important for companies to improve their products to better serve customers. A proper balance and method will help companies build up good reputations that serve them in the long run.

No comments: