Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Facebook's grammar is...

Just when Facebook announced this new phase in their machine translation research...

A novel approach to neural machine translation

This came up in my Facebook feed.






"Rain is forecast."

Somehow, it doesn't seem right to me. I would think it should be "Rain is in the forecast" or "Forecast is rain"... I mean, we say "sky is blue" but not "blue is sky", right?

Then it got me thinking. Maybe Facebook got their forecast for Yokohama from a Japanese source (which only makes sense, right?). Which means it was in Japanese. Which means it was then translated automatically by Facebook's machine translation software into English to put this on my feed. Which means this shows the current state of Facebook's state-of-the-art machine translation for Japanese to English.

I guess I still have time to earn a living as a translator.

1 comment:

Teck said...

Apparently, "Rain is forecast" is a valid English sentence, if we see the word "forecast" as being used as a verb in the simple past tense.
"Rain is forecast" is the same structure as "Dinner is served." Still, it somehow does not feel right to me, even though grammatically, there is no problem with it. Maybe it is just me. *shrug*