Saturday, January 14, 2017

Playing with VNC

After reading about Universe from OpenAI, I got the idea of using VNC for something similar to what Universe is trying to achieve. Basically, I need a way to pipe the output of a screen into a program, and was wondering how to go about capturing the screen. Then I happened upon Universe, and read in the blog post by OpenAI about using VNC. Which is a good idea, and so the past few days were spent trying to program a VNC client in Python. I found this and tried to adapt it to work with Kivy, which is a GUI framework for Python that I have been learning recently. After two days, I gave up trying to adapt the PyGame code in the original program into Kivy, and managed to write a Python program with a Kivy base, that can then call up the VNC client running in PyGame.

The next step is to work on a VNC server that can pipe out just the contents of the window that I want, instead of the entire desktop screen. Time to get down to learning more about the VNC framework... ;)

No comments: