Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Translating software

I tried to use Google Translate (Japan) to translate some sentences from English to Japanese the other day (as a shortcut so that I can save time from having to do it myself). And I would suggest to everyone out there, if you think that translation software is a replacement for a qualified translator, think again.

"Only with X should you do Y." (English)
was translated into:
"Even if you have X, you can do Y." (Japanese)

In the end, I had to check through everything that was done by the computer, and make changes to ensure that the original meaning was preserved. While it was quite some work, it did help to save time because I didn't have to use a dictionary to search for the correct nouns. That was at least a saving in time. At the end of the day, you still need a man in the loop, unless you are writing simple sentences for school children (and even then, I am not so sure...)

No comments: