Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Successful install of Fedora 14

Okay, I know it is a bit late since Fedora 14 has been out for some time (in fact, Fedora 15 is due to be released in May), but I have finally managed to install Fedora 14 on my Toshiba Satellite A505-S6040 laptop.

I used the x86_64 version, and had to separately compile the kernel module for my wireless (RTL8191SE, search for the RTL8192SE_PCI driver on Realtek's website). I also installed the proprietary Nvidia drivers.

So far, the only glitch is the computer hanging due to high CPU temperature, but that was before I installed lm-sensors. Don't know if lm-sensors help, since I have yet to stress the CPU.


Get Fedora 14 here.
Get Fedora 15 Alpha here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you tell how is it you do to install the wireless drivers? Thanks.

Teck said...

It depends on the wireless device that you have. You will need to do an online search for the Linux drivers for your specific device, download the driver and then compile them and install them. Usually, it is a matter of "make; make install" as root. You may need to do a modprobe after the install to get the wireless driver loaded.