Thursday, February 03, 2011

Welcoming the Year of the Rabbit

The Year of the Rabbit is here!

It has been some years already, but for the past few years, the tradition has been to have reunion dinner on the eve at my mother's place, after which we would go to the floral centre nearby (where my father's shop, run by my uncle now, is) to enjoy the festive mood and bask in a bit of nostalgia. It was raining but that didn't seem to deter the people from coming here to get a good deal.

This year's visit to the floral centre is all the more nostalgic, as my mother is considering selling away the shop, after 25 years. My younger sister practically grew up with the shop, and I have spent many days of my growing up years helping out there too, especially during the festive season. It is sad to know that the shop will be changing hands, but I guess it cannot be helped since no one is taking over the business.

New Year's Day itself was more fun, with my cousin back from LA, together with her husband and toddler son. So the distant cousins (my son and my cousin's son) got to play together and entertained everyone with what they can do. The usual visits to my grandmothers was a good time to get together with my cousins from both sides of the family and catch up on how things are going. That's what I like about extended families.

The kid was so tired from playing the whole day, he fell asleep the moment we got into the car heading home.

Here's wishing everyone a great year ahead!
新年快乐,心想事成,万事如意,步步高升,身体健康!发啊!

PS. When I was much younger, we never had reunion dinners at home. My parents would be too busy at the shop on Chinese New Year's Eve. We kids would have dinner at home, and then my father would pick us up to go to the shop while he was making deliveries. The whole extended family would have reunion dinner on Chinese New Year's Day itself at my paternal grandparents' place. Then we moved to a place nearer the floral centre, and we would have an early reunion dinner at home, before heading to the shop for the final round of selling festive plants.

No comments: