Friday, December 25, 2009

Fedora 12 on a portable hard disk

I have managed to install Fedora 12 on my new portable hard disk. It was actually quite easy, since the installation DVD was able to detect my portable hard disk (connected via USB) during the installation process, and all I had to do was select it as the target for installation, shrink the existing partition on it (from 500Gb to 400Gb, using the remaining 100Gb for Fedora). Then install Fedora on the newly created partition.

Getting the latest Nvidia drivers, though, was tricky. But following the directions here, I was able to get things to work. However, I took out the line "vga=0x318" from the line to add to "etc/grub.conf", since it caused my display resolution to drop.

The only thing I haven't been able to get to work is "tvtime", it has picture but no sound. Plus it doesn't record shows. Guess I will have to be on the lookout on how to solve this...

No comments: