Thursday, August 20, 2009

A sad day

A few weeks ago, I wrote about something sad. Today, another sad thing happened.

When I was in Japan, I enjoyed the hospitality of two families. One of them even taught me calligraphy. The other family has a small eatery and always treats me to dinner.

Today, I was informed that the owner of the eatery has passed on. I last met him when I went to Japan recently, and he was getting a bit senile but still recognised my wife and I. We had a chat, and then we sent him home after his dinner. That was the last time we saw him.

Although I had very much wanted to go to his funeral, due to work, I am unable to. But I am glad that my wife happens to be in Japan with my son, and they will be attending the funeral on my behalf. We didn't have a chance to show him our son while he was around, but at least our son can be there to send him off.

Master, rest in peace. I will never forget the kindness that you showed me.
マスター、安らかに眠ってください。あなたのことを永遠に忘れない。

No comments: