Thursday, August 09, 2007

Home

Today is Singapore's National Day, the day which we commemorate our independence, gain on this day in 1965. This year's parade was done on a floating platform, with elaborate displays both on the platform and surrounding waters. While I still think that the gesture is too elaborate, the National Day Parade never fails to show the commitment we have as a nation, one which is young and still trying to find its footing in a fast changing world.

Singapore is home. The songs we have written each year brings out the patriotic feelings that I have for my country. Every time I arrive at Changi International Airport from another country, the "And to all Singaporeans, welcome home" greeting reminds me that this is a place that I can truly call home. We may be a small nation, we may be a young nation, but that is our beauty. Yes, we are not perfect, we have lots to learn (and sometimes our pride gets in the way) but give us time and we will show that we can become a country with class, not just empty pride.

Yes, I may have lots to say about my country, and most of it can be very critical, but deep down, I love my country. And the reason why I am critical is because I deeply wish for my country to grow and become a better place for everyone. And when we have mature into a country able to take criticism, then we know that we reached the next level in our country's development.

No comments: