Friday, September 18, 2020

Opening day of Violet Evergarden the Movie


Violet Evergarden the Movie (劇場版 ヴァイオレット・エヴァーガーデン) opened in the cinemas today. Hurray! Finally! As expected, it brought a close to the story of Violet and Gilbert. And I cried so many times during the 140 minutes of airing I lost count.

I caught the lunch show, and even though it was a weekday (okay, Friday), the theatre was full. Wow. The audience were all adults, even senior citizens. No students since it was still school time. But Violet's story draws a crowd of all ages.

I will be catching it again tomorrow. The cast will be appearing for a post-movie greeting session that will be broadcast to other theatres. I don't have tickets to that actual session, so I will have to be satisfied with the broadcast at the local theatre.

Oh, director Takemoto Yasuhiro is listed in the credits as a supporting staff of the movie. I can't be sure but I think other KyoAni staff who were victims of the 2019 arson attack may also be listed in the credits. It is nice to see them being honoured in KyoAni's works, but since the movie was slated to air in January this year, most of them were probably involved in the production when the attack happened.

Also, there is a final cut after the credits finish rolling.

I will probably write my full thoughts tomorrow after catching it a second time.

Update: My review of Violet Evergarden the Movie (2020) can be found here.
 
Events:
 
Translations of short stories:
Gilbert Bougainvillea and the Fleeting Dream (unofficial translation of "ギルベルト・ブーゲンビリアと儚い夢")
The Starry Night and the Lonely Two (unofficial translation of 星降りの夜とさみしいふたり)
Diethard Bougainvillea's If (unofficial translation of ディートフリート・ブーゲンビリアIf) 
The Tailor and the Auto-Memories Doll (unofficial translation of 仕立て屋と自動手記人形)
 
Tellsis (Nunkish) translation:
Last line of Violet's final letter to Gilbert
 
Insights on the movie:
 
Audio commentary notes:

 
All posts related to Violet Evergarden

No comments: