Friday, January 06, 2023

Watching Violet Evergarden the Movie at a LIVE ZOUND cinema (15th viewing)

What better way to start 2023 than by watching Violet Evergarden the Movie at a cinema?

So when I found out that a cinema in the next city will be holding a special screening of Violet Evergarden the Movie, I blocked off the date in my calendar, booked a ticket, and made my way there. It was my 15th viewing of the movie at a cinema, after the 14th viewing more than a year ago.

It was my first time going to Cinecitta in Kawasaki.

There was even this fountain show in front of the place, and when I arrived, it was just in time for the show.


This cinema has a special sound and projection system that uses its original LIVE ZOUND system based on concert hall speaker technology and a 4K RGB laser projection system. This is my first time watching the movie in this different "format".

My thoughts about the movie can be found in other posts linked below. Here, I will touch on the LIVE ZOUND version. First, the sound. I think the sound system is kind of better than what you would get from a "normal" cinema. However, it is not that noticeably better, not like a Dolby Cinema. You do get to enjoy the small little sounds, like people in the background, the wind, rain, clock ticking, and stuff like that. But I feel it kind of lacked the "boom"... no real impact? may be the word.

What really irked me was the visual part of the movie. Although the cinema advertises its 4K RGB laser projection system as part of the LIVE ZOUND package/format, well, this is only going to be meaningful if you use video source that has been properly remastered for that colour range and resolution. Watching the movie, it didn't feel that way. The colours were kind of washed out, making the brighter scenes look too bright (lack of contrast), while the darker scenes kind of had this white/gray filter look. It was not as noticeable for brighter landscape scenes, but those with faces of people up close... the faces ended up either too bright or too bland. I don't think it is even worth comparing with the vivid colour contrast that I enjoyed at the local Dolby Cinema. I don't think the "normal" cinema version was even this bland. In a way, it reminded me of trying to watch the HDR version of the movie on a SDR monitor.

Still, I am glad that the cinema took the effort to offer a special screening of the movie, more than two years after its release in September 2020. I am sure other fans shared that sentiment, since there was a round of applause when the movie ended.

They even put up Violet's "uniform" on display, although I didn't see it when I arrived, and only managed to take a few photos when I was leaving.


(On my way back, there was an accident on the JR lines. Someone got injured and so most of the trains in the area were suspended. I ended up having to take the Keikyu line and Yokohama municipal subway to get home... a long detour that had me a bit worried because it was really late and I didn't know if I would make the last trains.)

I think my favorite is still the Dolby Cinema version of the movie. Hopefully, Violet Evergarden the Movie will come back for a special "revival" screening at the nearby Dolby Cinema. 🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️

My overall thoughts on Violet Evergarden The Movie.

Events:
 
Translations of short stories:
Gilbert Bougainvillea and the Fleeting Dream (unofficial translation of "ギルベルト・ブーゲンビリアと儚い夢")
The Starry Night and the Lonely Two (unofficial translation of 星降りの夜とさみしいふたり)
Diethard Bougainvillea's If (unofficial translation of ディートフリート・ブーゲンビリアIf) 
The Tailor and the Auto-Memories Doll (unofficial translation of 仕立て屋と自動手記人形)
 
Insights on the movie:
 
Audio commentary notes:

 
All posts related to Violet Evergarden.

No comments: