Friday, September 20, 2024

Watching The Quintessential Quintuplets* 五等分の花嫁*

The Quintessential Quintuplets* (五等分の花嫁*) started screening in Japanese cinemas today, ahead of its TV broadcast later in the year. It is a 47-minute OVA focusing mainly on the main character's honeymoon with the quintuplets. While not covered in the original manga, the manga's author Haruba Negi supervised this story, so it can be considered as "canon".

I thought the anime adaptation of this series ended with The Quintessential Quintuplets∽ (五等分の花嫁∽) but I guess I was wrong. Having already caught The Quintessential Quintuplets the Movie (映画「五等分の花嫁」) and The Quintessential Quintuplets∽ previously when they screened in Japan, I thought I should keep up the "tradition" and so I got myself a ticket and went to catch this show during its first screening at the local cinema.

I got to the cinema on time... due to heavy morning traffic. Still, I managed to get to my seat before the OVA started so I guess it was okay.

I think the best way to sum it up is that this is an OVA for fans, to give a nice conclusion to the story after the wedding. What the quintuplets are doing five years after they graduated from high school. As the honeymoon took place in Hawaii, there was a side character, a Hawaiian girl, but she was voiced by a Japanese voice actor so the English sounded a bit awkward. But I guess it won't really matter since this character isn't really the main focus of this OVA. I guess this is the author's way of giving a proper conclusion to the story, instead of leaving it to fan fiction writers. Those who are not die-hard fans should probably just wait for it to air on TV.

No comments: