Sunday, January 23, 2022

Proxmox on Raspberry Pi 4

My current homelab setup has a Poweredge R720 as the main server in a cluster with a Poweredge R430. However, as a two-node cluster, this means that both servers must be running at all times for the cluster to function.

This got me thinking, can I set up a Raspberry Pi as a Proxmox node?

Well, Google says yes. In fact, there is a repository on GitHub with a script that helps you do so.


It is very easy to install too. First, you need to have a Raspberry Pi 4 installed with 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS (which, as of today, is still in beta...). After that, it is all a matter of logging into the Raspberry Pi and following the instructions on the repository, which is basically downloading the script, then running it.

The script will ask you to set a root password, provide a hostname and static ip for the Raspberry Pi, and then it will download the necessary stuff.

I tried it myself, with a copy of 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS installed on a used SSD. Then, I followed the instructions, and in about 30 minutes, got myself a working installation of Proxmox on a Raspberry Pi.

For now, the node is empty, and I will eventually find time to add it to the cluster. Just not today... previously, I had tried to use a Raspberry Pi as a quorum node, and ended up messing up the cluster big time. So I am a bit more cautious now about making changes to the cluster. Basically, do so when I have time to spend on troubleshooting, and maybe even recovering...

By the way, if the Raspberry Pi does not seem to be powering down properly, check out this issue on GitHub.

No comments: