Saturday, July 13, 2024

75th Mainichi Shodo Exhibition (第75回毎日書道展) at The National Art Center, Tokyo (NACT)

The 75th Mainichi Shodo Exhibition (第75回毎日書道展) spans two venues: The National Art Center, Tokyo (NACT) in Roppongi, and the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum in Ueno. On display at NACT are the works by members of the Mainichi Shodo Association (including the organising committee of the Mainichi Shodo Exhibition) as well as winning works from the selected public submissions. The selected public submissions that did not win any prize or award (such as mine...) are displayed at the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum.

I decided to go to NACT to see the winning works to get an idea of what to aim for in my future calligraphy practice. Most of the way from Roppongi Station to NACT is underground. The way from Roppongi Station passes through Tokyo Midtown, with signs guiding you to the exit that will eventually lead you near NACT.

Once you exit the underground area, a short walk brings you to NACT. Thankfully, the weather was somewhat cloudy and it was not as hot, so even the short distance above ground was not under the blazing summer sun.

Upon entering NACT, there were posters introducing the exhibition, plus related events. There are live calligraphy demonstrations by winners, and sessions that explain the winning works.

The exhibition itself spans three floors, with works by the organizing committee and grand prix winners on the first floor, works by members of the Mainichi Shodo Association and excellence award winners on the second floor, and merit award winners on the third floor (roughly). Here is a photo showing the entrance area to the exhibition halls housing the works.

I even managed to see the live calligraphy demonstration, where four winners showed how they actually went about writing their works. I only stayed for the first three winners, who won the grand prix for their kanji works (two of them) and single kanji work (one of them). The fourth was a carving piece and I sneaked out because I was not really interested.

I spent close to three hours before I reached the "exit" of the exhibition hall.

And I took a photo of this shot from the third floor of NACT. This place was featured in the anime movie Your Name. by Shinkai Makoto.

Photography is allowed, but I don't know if I am allowed to post photographs of other people's works, so forgive the lack of actual works in this post.

Next week, I will be going to Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum to see my own work on display.

No comments: