Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Coloured calligraphy paper

Chinese/Japanese calligraphy is not only written on plain white paper. I have previously introduced processed paper, and this time, I will be touching on coloured paper in particular.

Most common is red paper, which I used here when I wrote about non-vermilion/red calligraphy seal paste.

Red paper can also be sprinkled with gold flakes, like the paper used for this piece.

Yellow is another common colour. Black ink on yellow paper can look very impressive.

There are other colours too, like beige/brown, which is somewhat darker than unbleached calligraphy paper.
 
And blue and green too. Even black (which I do not have...)


Of course, not all of them go well with black ink. For example, paper with darker shades of blue and green would go better with inks of brighter colours such as gold or yellow. I will provide such an example when I write about gold and silver inks in the future.

No comments: